Blanca E. Sanchez
BLANCA ESTELA SANCHEZ was born in Wheeling, Illinois on July 25, l 951. She attended Elementary schools in Illinois & McAllen, Texas, and graduated from McAllen High in 1969. Blanca graduated from the University of Texas-Pan American with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education and earned a Masters degree in Educational Administration.
She was married to Ernie Sanchez and has three sons: Felipe, Gerardo, and Alejandro Sanchez. Blanca died on April 18, 2002.
Blanca's professional experience at Alvarez Elementary School includes:
- Teacher for 6th Grade
- Special Education & Resource Lab
- Teaching Assistant Principal
Blanca was principal at Austin Elementary School from 1985-87, and principal at Seguin Elementary School from 1987-2001. At the time of her death, she was director of State and Federal Programs for McAllen Independent School District.
Her professional awards and contributions include:
- Texas Blue Ribbon Award (TEA recognition) Seguin Elementary School, under Blanca's leadership, is the only school in the McAllen School District to receive such an award.
- "Excellence in Education" Award from the US Department of Education under William
- TEPSA (Texas Elementary Principals & Supervisors Association) Award
- Title I Award (TEA recognition)
- Blanca was the initiator for the implementation of the "Success for All" Reading Program at Seguin Elementary. This is a program in which she truly believed all students could excel.
Blanca was a member of the following professional associations & organizations:
- TSH (Texas State Improvement Initiative)
- Accreditation & Compliance for Schools in the State of
- TEPSA Leadership Academy
- PDAC (Professional Development Assessment Center) Blanca was an appraiser for principals.
- The Consortium for Recognized Campuses in the State of Texas
- Officer for the Rio Grande TEPSA Organization
- MASDA (Organization for Administrators, Supervisors, and Directors Association)
- ASCD (Association of Supervisors, Coordinators, and Directors)
- SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools)
- Life member of PTA
- The Council for Personnel Preparation for the Handicap
- IDEA (Intra-District Educational Assembly )
- IDEA Leadership Council
- UT PA Technology Proposal Project
Blanca was also an active member of Sacred Heart Church in McAllen, Texas.
Blanca E. Sanchez Elementary was established in 2007 and is named after this influential member of our community.